Aatrilal (Ammi majus Linn): A Potent Drug For Vitiligo
American Journal of Pharmtech Research
Am. J. PharmTech Res. 2014; 4(1)
Aatrilal (Ammi majus Linn) is an important unani drug for treatment of vitiligo. It belongs to family Apiaceae. It is originated in Egypt. But now it is successfully cultivated in India. It is the principal commercial source of Xanthotoxin. Xanthotoxin is used in the treatment of Vitiligo (Leucoderma).It is also used as diuretic, blood purifier, detergent, emmenogogue, and has antispasmodic and anti inflammatory properties. In Unani system of Medicine Aatrilal is used both internally as well as externally in the patients of Bars (Vitiligo). A number of clinical studies have been carried out with the Aatrilal in the treatment of vitiligo. These trials have shown significant results.
1. Anonymous.The Wealth of India. Vol I:A.,New Delhi; Publication & Information Directorate CSIR;1985:225.
2. Hakeem Abdul. Bustanul Mufradat Jadeed., Delhi; Idara Kitabush Shifa Kocha Chailan Darya Ganj; 2002:255.
4. Baitar Ibn. Aljamiul Mufradat Advia wal Aghzia (Urdu translation). Vol I. ,New Delhi; CCRUM ;1985:3-4.
5. Anonymous. Standardization of Single Drugs of Unani Medicine. Part I.Ist edition., New Delhi;CCRUM;1987:4-5.
6. Ghani Hakim Najmul. Khazainatul Advia. Part 1.,New Delhi; Idara Kitab us Shifa , Daryaganj;YNM:174-175.
7. Gupta AK, Sharma Madhu. Review of Indian Medicinal Plants, Vol II.,:New Delhi; Medicinal Plants Unit ICMR;2004:209-213.
8. Khare C.P. Indian Medicinal Plants-An illustrated Dictionary.,New York; Springer Science & Business Media;2007:43.
9. Qasmi. Iqbal Ahmad, Kitabul Mufradat. 1st edition., Aligarh; International Printing Press; 2001: 16-17.
and Medicinal chemistry letters.2012;2:1-4.
11. Aronson JK.Meyler‟s side effects of Herbal Medicine.Amsterdam:Elsevier;2009:45.
12. Pengelly Andrew.The Constituents of Medicinal Plants.2nd ed., Alexander Street: Sunflower Herbals; 2004:22-23.
13. Singh VK, Aminuddin.Cultivation of Atrilal (Ammi majus L.) at Aligarh-A unani drug for treatment of vitiligo. Hippocratic J Unani Medicine 2007; 1:45-49.
14. Rastogi Ram P. Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants. Vol III.,: New Delhi; CDRI, Publications and Information Directorate, CSIR; 2007:38.10. Selim YA, Ouf NH. Anti-inflammatory new Coumarin from the Ammi majus L.Organic